If you have installed SQL Server 2005, it is likely you have installed the samples as well. In my case, I installed what I thought to be everything, realizing that the samples did not install. When I went in through the normal set up to install them, I was not able to.
Thankfully, I found a workaround that prevented me from having to uninstall and reinstall…
- Go to Start –> Control Panel –> Add/Remove Programs
- Click “Change” for SQL Server 2005
- Entering the setup from this approach, you will have the option to add/change components.
- Follow the wizard, and when given the option to add components, choose the “Workstation Components” checkbox.
- Change the installed components as you would with any other Microsoft application.
- Complete the wizard.
To actually install the samples, you will need to:
- Navigate to n:Program FilesMicrosoftSQL Server90ToolsSamples and double-click SqlServerSamples.msi to launch the installer.
- Navigate to the the installed location (default is n:Program FilesMicrosoftSQL Server90Samples) and have at it!
Note: These steps do not apply to recreating a sample database that has been deleted. For that, you will correct that using installation scripts, which can be found easily in BOL.