Managers of Oracle E-Business Suite HCM applications may wish to implement a business rule that prohibits employees from taking leave that exceeds their balance (ie result in a negative leave balance). Until now, E-Business Suite has not provided an easy way to implement that business rule, rather, users needed to write custom code for the ‘BG_ABSENCE_DURATION’ fast formula. For many users these seemed overly complicated.
Beginning with E-Business Suite R12.1.3, following the simple steps below, Oracle has provided a profile option that can be set to prevent employees from taking leave that exceeds their balance.
- Authenticate to the application, and select the responsibility ‘System Administrator’.
- In the Navigator, select ‘Profile’ then ‘System’.
- In the ‘Find System Profile Values’ form, enter ‘HR: Allow Absence Negative Balance’ in the ‘Profile’ field, then click the ‘Find’ button.
- In the resulting ‘System Profile Values’ form, enter the appropriate value at the ‘Site’ level.
- If the value is entered as ‘Yes’, existing behavior continues. If the value is entered as ‘No’, workers who submit leave beyond their balance will get a message that their leave balance is negative and they cannot apply for leave.
- Save the transaction.
With this set up, E-Business Suite users can now manage negative leave balance rules simply via a profile option.