- Senior Management at a silicon wafer manufacturing facility were making decision based on incomplete or inaccurate operational data
- Management needed data issues resolved to improve plant profitability and drive strategic decisions
- Technology group was working with a system built before their time – i.e. didn’t fully understand the BI system from source to reporting
- Facility’s technology group hired M&S Consulting to review the business intelligence system, review the initial plan, and implement a new system
- M&S Consulting conducted a thorough ETL process and code review, created relevant documentation and presented to the technology group
- Technology group’s initial thoughts after ETL review was to make incremental modifications to the system
- M&S Consulting obliged – created a preliminary project plan and reviewed w/technology group. After review however, M&S Consulting drafted an secondary plan to provide management with alternatives to incremental changes
- Technology group, after reviewing both plans side by side, and after discussing both short and long-term implications, decided that M&S Consulting’s secondary plan was better suited to resolving underlying data issues.
- M&S Consulting brought three disparate client side technology teams to review the plan, obtain buy-in from all groups and subsequently constructed a proof-of-concept
- After successful proof of concept, project was formalized through project plan and weekly milestone meetings
- Over the next several months, weekly milestones were meet and collaboration between all three technology groups deepened.
- M&S Consulting led implementation of the system using Java & PL/SQL, conducted thorough data validation at each project phase.
- Data issues resolved
- A new, fully functional, scalable BI system created
- Fostered greater collaboration between three technology groups
- All three groups came away with an in-depth understanding of the new BI system