What is a Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM) or a RACI MatriX?
A responsibility assignment matrix (RAM), also known as RACI matrix, describes the participation by various roles in completing tasks or deliverables for a project or business process.
How is RAM / RACI useful?
RAM / RACI is especially useful in clarifying the roles and responsibilities in cross-functional/departmental projects and processes.
What does RACI stand for?
RACI is derived from the four key responsibilities: Responsible, Accountable, Consulted, Informed. The RACI model is a straightforward tool used for identifying roles and responsibilities and avoiding confusion over the roles and responsibilities during a project.
The acronym RACI stands for:
- People who do the work to achieve the task
- They have responsibility for getting the work done or decision made
- Software Developer
- Business Analyst
- Software/Technical Architect
- People who are accountable for the correct and thorough completion of the task
- This is the role that Responsible is accountable to and approves their work
- Project Sponsor
- People who provide information for the project and with whom there is a two-way communication
- Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
- People who are kept informed about the project progress and with whom there is one-way communication
- These are the people that are affected by the outcome of the tasks so these people need to be kept up-to-date
How do I create a RACI Matrix?
Creating a RACI Matrix is a six step process
- Identify Tasks:
- Identify all the tasks involved in delivering the project
- List them on the left-hand side of the chart in completion order
- Identify Roles
- Identify all the project roles
- List them along the top of the chart
- Complete the cells of the chart identifying who:
- Has Responsibility
- Has Accountability
- Will be consulted and informed for each task
- Ensure every task has a role Responsible and a role Accountable for it
- No tasks should have more than one role Accountable. Resolve conflicts where there is more than one role for any particular task
- Share, discuss and agree the RACI Matrix with your project stakeholders before your project begins
Sample RACI Matrix
For a sample representation of a RACI Matrix – please click on the image below. Note that each task only has one team member assigned as an ‘A’ or an ‘R’.